Migraine headaches are quite common, affecting approximately 6% of men and 17% of women across the country. They result in severe, debilitating pain lasting anywhere between 4 and 72 hours. Often, they are pulsating and only impact one side of the head.
Other symptoms of migraine headaches include:
- Light sensitivity
If you suffer from regularly occurring migraine headaches, you should visit our Hoboken neuromuscular dentists for an evaluation. Dr. Frank and his team will work to determine the underlying causes of your headaches and devise the proper treatment plan to alleviate this painful, debilitating condition. Please call 201-792-9400 today to schedule your consultation.
Causes of Migraine Headaches
While the exact cause of migraine headaches is still unclear, there is substantial research indicating that they may be related to problems with the alignment of your jaw. Temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ) is a common condition affecting many Americans. It occurs when your jaw joint becomes misaligned.
TMJ symptoms can be painful and debilitating, impacting your face, jaw, neck, shoulders, and back. A common symptom of TMJ is migraine headaches.
Other potential causes of migraine headaches include:
- Hormones, particularly during menstruation for women
- Lack of sleep
- Obesity, particularly among children and teenagers
- Adverse interactions with medications
Treatments for Migraine Headaches
Dr. Frank DePaola has achieved a high degree of success when treating migraine headaches. He has found that many of the most common TMJ treatments are also effective for migraines. By correcting alignment issues with your jaw and restoring an ideal bite position, Dr. Frank can help you alleviate the painful symptoms of migraines once and for all.
Dr. Frank will first perform a thorough evaluation of your bite to determine the cause of your jaw misalignment. Depending on the nature of your condition, he may recommend one of the following treatment plans:
- Comfort guard to be worn at night, providing comfort to your teeth, joints, and muscles
- Fixed orthotic device constructed from a material similar to what is used in composite white fillings that is worn all day to restore an ideal bite position
- Full time removable neuromuscular orthotic device custom-crafted using 3D imaging, the K7 system, and TENS therapy to ensure a proper fit
- Orthodontic and restorative dental treatments to correct alignment issues with your bite
- DNA Expansion Orthodontic Therapy to expand your upper archway and guide your teeth into their proper position
Please contact The Practice at Maxwell Place using the form at the right side of the page or call 201-792-9400 today to schedule your initial headache evaluation. Our dentists serve patients from Hoboken, Jersey City, and Hudson County, New Jersey.