What is a dental crown?
A dental crown is a tooth-shaped restoration that covers the visible area of your tooth to repair damage and restore its strength. Dental crowns can also be used to improve the appearance of irregularly shaped teeth, restoring a beautiful smile.
What types of dental crowns are available?
There are three different types of dental crowns commonly used by dentists:
- All-porcelain crowns – These dental crowns achieve the best aesthetics. Dr. Frank can match the shade of your dental crown with the color of your adjacent natural teeth for a beautiful result that will not be noticeable to others.
- Porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns – Porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns use a metal lining instead of a porcelain lining to provide additional strength. These dental crowns still provide good aesthetics, but you may see a dark line around the edge of the crown where the metal lining shows through.
- Gold crowns – Gold crowns are generally reserved for back teeth where chewing forces are heaviest. They have the least natural looking appearance, and therefore are not ideal for front teeth which are visible when you smile.
Dr. Frank only uses all-porcelain crowns because they achieve the most natural looking result while providing you with a durable restoration that restores optimal functionality to your tooth.
When is a dental crown needed?
Dr. Frank may recommend a dental crown to:
- Protect a weak tooth from breakage
- Restore strength to a decayed tooth
- Repair a broken, chipped, or worn tooth
- Improve the appearance of an irregularly shaped tooth
- Cover and support a tooth with a large dental filling that has minimal natural tooth structure remaining
- Act as a prosthetic tooth for a dental implant
- Support a dental bridge
How is the dental crown procedure performed?
Your dental crown procedure will require two visits to complete. On your first visit, Hoboken cosmetic dentist Dr. Frank DePaola will remove any decay from the tooth and prepare it for the crown. An impression of your prepared tooth will be taken and sent to the lab for use in fabricating your dental crown. Dr. Frank will place a temporary crown on your tooth to provide protection while your permanent restoration is being constructed.
On your second visit to our Hoboken cosmetic dentistry office, Dr. Frank will place the permanent dental crown on your tooth and securely bond it in place.
How should I care for my dental crown?
You should care for your dental crown the way you care for the rest of your teeth. Brush at least twice a day using a soft bristle tooth brush, and floss once a day to remove plaque and food particles between your teeth that may lead to gum disease. It is best to avoid biting down on hard substances such as ice to ensure your dental crown lasts for years to come.
Please contact The Practice at Maxwell Place using the form at the right side of the page or call 201-792-9400 today to schedule your initial dental crown appointment. Dr. Frank DePaola serves patients in Hoboken, Jersey City, and throughout Hudson County, New Jersey.