Chances are your children have been looking forward to Halloween for weeks. While helping with their costumes and taking them trick-or-treating are something to look forward to, all the excess sugar and risk of cavities are not. Our Jersey City family dentists know how to help you strike a balance and make the most of the season.
The following tips will help you reduce the risk that your children will develop cavities from eating all of that delicious Halloween candy:
- Practice Moderation—Kids who feel deprived are likely to sneak candy when you aren’t aware, so help them determine a reasonable amount to eat each day and guidelines on how long to keep the candy after Halloween is over.
- Timing Counts—Setting aside a particular treat time gives your child something to look forward to, and even more importantly it allows you to make sure they follow up with good oral hygiene practices such as brushing and flossing.
- Build a Routine—Brushing on a regular schedule will help build good habits.
- Disclosing Tablets—Using tablets that temporarily stain the plaque on teeth can help your child see where brushing needs improvement.
- Have Fun—Halloween is a great time for a fun new toothbrush. Letting your child pick a new brush and their own toothpaste can help them enjoy the process.
After the holidays is a great time to schedule a dental cleaning and exam for your children. This will give Dr. Frank and our pediatric dentists an opportunity to remove any plaque that has started to build up from these sugary Halloween snacks.
Please contact Children's Dentistry of Hoboken by using the form at the right side of the page or call 201-792-9400 today to schedule an appointment with our family dentists. We serve patients in Hoboken, Jersey City, and throughout Hudson County, New Jersey.