Posted: September 24, 2015
Temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ) is a common problem in Hoboken, but there are many different causes of TMJ, so the same TMJ treatment won't work for every person. Because it can be quite difficult to determine the exact reasons for your TMJ symptoms, it is important to develop a treatment plan with an experienced neuromuscular dentist like Dr. Frank.
Depending on the specifics of your TMJ issue, Dr. Frank may recommend a combination of at-home TMJ treatments and dental treatments.
Home treatments for TMJ include:
- Over-the-counter NSAID pain relievers like ibuprofen or aspirin
- Prescription medications including corticosteroids or muscle relaxers
- Cold or heat packs
- Avoiding very crunchy or chewy foods
- Relaxation techniques to keep your jaw slightly open
- Avoiding resting your chin on your hand, or holding the phone with your shoulder
- Wearing a mouth guard, especially at night
Dental treatments for TMJ include:
- Custom orthotic device (fixed or removable)
- Restorative dentistry
- Orthodontic treatment
- DNA Expansion Orthodontic Therapy
No matter what the cause of your TMJ symptoms, you don’t have to live with the pain and discomfort. Without treatment, TMJ can lead to tooth damage, migraines, bad posture, and dependence on medication. Dr. Frank can recommend a customized TMJ treatment plan that will alleviate these painful symptoms and restore optimal levels of oral heatlh.
Please contact The Practice at Maxwell Place using the form at the bottom of the page or call 201-792-9400 today to schedule your TMJ evaluation. We serve patients in Hoboken, Jersey City, and throughout Hudson County, New Jersey.