Posted: August 30, 2013
Temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ) is a condition that occurs when your jaw joint becomes misaligned. It can result in a wide range of painful symptoms that can impact many aspects of your life on a daily basis.
Due to the fact that TMJ symptoms are varied and often resemble the symptoms of other conditions, Dr. Frank will perform a thorough evaluation in order to pinpoint the cause of your TMJ. This includes:
- Examining your jaw joints for tenderness
- Listening for clicking or popping sounds when your move your jaw
- Checking for limited jaw mobility when opening and closing your mouth
- Assessing the function of your bite and facial muscles
- Taking x-rays of your jaw, jaw joint, and teeth to see if other issues are present
- MRI or CT scans, if necessary
Once Dr. Frank identifies the source of your condition, he will develop a customized TMJ treatment plan to eliminate your painful symptoms and restore proper bite alignment. Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) therapy will be used to relax your jaw muscles and locate its ideal resting position. The K7 Evaluation System will be used to provide Dr. Frank with detailed measurements of jaw muscle and joint movements.
Based on this data, Dr. Frank will recommend one of the following treatment methods:
- Removable neuromuscular orthotic device
- Fixed neuromuscular orthotic device
- Orthodontic treatment
- Dental restorations
The sooner you visit our Hoboken dental office, the sooner you can experience relief from your painful TMJ symptoms.
Please contact The Practice at Maxwell Place today to schedule your initial TMJ consultation. Dr. Frank DePaola serves patients in Hoboken, Jersey City, and Hudson County, New Jersey.